Monday, July 28, 2008

Days without daddy - week 4

Monday, July 28th
Time flies, actually, it has been moving slowly. I have to think of how to entertain two kids in the weekend. We stayed at home most of the time this weekend. On Saturday I was very tired, and I took Arthur to see a movie Molly. Arthur got scared after an hour after the movie started. He told me that he missed the baby so we left at once. He told his dad that he is scared in the phone.

On Sunday I took them to a park close by. We enjoyed the quite time in the park for a few hours.

Tuesday, July 29th
Benjamin is walking! He can stand up and move a few steps. He was so happy with this new skill and he kept on practicing. The longest record for yesterday is 16 steps.

There is an 5.8 degree earthquake in Chino Hills which is one hour drive from my home. I feel it at work and it last about 10 seconds. Some of our colleagues went out and none of the cell phone worked. I came back to my office and use my office phone to reach the home. Huang felt it at Northridge and she went out with the baby. I need to prepare for the coming big earthquake which may happen any time.

Earthquake rocks Los Angeles http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/29/earthquake.ca/

Monday, August 4th
I have lost a few pounds in last month. My life is so much easier with Huang's around. I guess that I am still under pressure without Weimin's around. I have to worry about getting on bus on time to pick up Arthur, and entertain both kids in the weekend.

I took Arthur to the Encino farmer's market on Sunday morning and got something good and cheap. The flower is $1 per bunch! Going to farmer's market in one of my very few hobbies. I took them to the Simi valley town center in the afternoon. Arthur loves the fish pond and little train ride there very much. Too bad that I only have 1$ left by the time that I bought the ticket for him. By the time that I found another two dollars in my pocket, the train ride was closed. Still, we enjoyed three hours casual time there with Arthur complained that he didn't get on the train on our way back. Arthur went to play with his friend Branden after dinner. I think that he had a great day.

On Arthur's morning visit to baby and me in my bedroom, Arthur told the baby when he is saying Ba Ba, Ba Ba (daddy): "My daddy is coming back today and he will play with you. " I told Arthur to say Our instead of My. I also use his daddy's coming back as the bait to get him dress up and go to school on time though I am pretty late this morning since baby wake me up in the middle of the night.

I picked up Arthur earlier in the afternoon. He was so happy to see me. "Let's pick up Daddy!". He wanted to share his happiness with the school director, too . "Let's say goodbye to Mrs Roni. " he said. When he went into the office and talked to Mrs. Roni, he was kind of shy, didn't look into her eyes, and said something like "My daddy went to China and come back, and I will pick him up" and so on.

We drove to Flyaway to pick up Weimin. I didn't plan to take the baby but surrendered under his urgency. Benjamin was very happy in the car, and in Flyaway station. He was crawling around, and so his bare feet and legs were all dirty. We waited for half an hour before we saw Weimin. Benjamin caught many eyes as his used to. A nice old lady who worked there told me several times to wash his dirty feet and so I did. That is why daddy didn't see a dirty baby after he got off the bus.

It was like a holiday last night. Baby and Arthur got many presents. I got a surprise present, too. It was so great to have him back.

It was a good experience for me for the last four weeks. I don't know how those single parent handle their kids' request of "I want my daddy/mommy" while they can't fulfill it. Parents tend to give kids whatever they want. I can still tell Arthur that his daddy is in China/Korean, with his grandpa or grandma, and will come back soon with many presents, and he can still talk to his dad on phone. I can't imagine what will happen if Weimin doesn't show up. The bound between us is so much stonger after we build a family with two kids.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Phoebe is walking now, too - started a couple of weeks ago, but still prefers to crawl (I think because it's faster).

When we lived in CA, we had a large plastic garbage can outside with canned food, water, a tent, blankets, emergency medical kit. Plus I kept sturdy walking shoes, water, and a blanket in the trunk of my car since I had the furthest to drive each day.

There are also ways to 'tie down' bookcases, etc so they don't fall and injure someone (like a small child). We kept all cans, heavy items on the bottom shelves of cupboards. I'm trying to think of what else we did - Mario was really good at this and I remember him showing me how to turn off the gas, water. When we were in an earthquake, Robert and I were home, Mario was at work. His work told him to stay there and check out water mains in the city for damage. Mario said, "I'm going to my family." And he did come to Robert and I to make sure we were safe, checked out the house, the garage, the water and gas lines, everything. No wonder I feel so vulnerable and fragile without him.

Do something about that mirror. Do you know if it's made of earthquake proof glass?

Holly Wang said...

Louise, I will do it too. I heard that the big earthquake will come sooner or later. I am just kind of lazy.
I have never heard of earthquake proof glass.